John 3:16

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have eternal life."

Thursday, December 4, 2008

My First Struggle...

We participated in the Gulf Coast Marathon Run recently...NO, we didn't run in the Marathon, but the 5k that they had. It was the hardest run I've ever run. The weather was terrible; it was so hard to breathe. After the run I found that I wasn't the only one struggling...everyone was!! And, boy, did I feel bad for the others participating in the longer races. Found out several resorted to walking during the run. I'm telling you it was hard at best! If you don't believe me, just look at how pitiful we look.

As we were resting on our haunches and eating chicken and rice, bananas and oranges, the award ceremony began for the 5k race. There were 165 running in it. I came in 42nd and Kent came in 57th. All of a sudden I heard my name called out, and though I thought I might have placed in my age group my name was called earlier than I had expected. I won the Female Masters Trophy! This was by far better than I could have expected. I looked to see if anyone else my age had been running and there were several. This meant that I ran faster than 40 year olds and older; as a matter of fact, upon looking closer, I had run faster than any 30 year olds!! I couldn't believe it!!! I ran about 42 seconds slower than before; guess the run had not been a loss after all. Here I am (as bad as it is) receiving my wonderful plaque!

Kent won 2nd place in his age group. We were both tuckered out to say the least.

[Don't know why some of these pics are smaller...go figure! I couldn't get them larger.] For a better view, scroll to the bottom to see them in "Runs We've Been In" slide.

4 comments:

jeff and rebecca said...

Wow!!! What an accomplishment!! Doesn't it feel good to win?? Some say that is feels good just to finish something but I say it is much sweeter to WIN!!!! Congratulations to the both of you. Maybe we can come watch you as you cross the finish line at the Olympics!!!! GO FOR THE GOLD!!!!!!!

Robbie said...

I don't believe I would hold my breath on the Olympics!! But thanks for the encouragement anyway. And...it IS good just to finish sometimes - like this race!

jeff and rebecca said...

Well if it happens and the endorsements start rolling in, remember us "little people". We would really like a new camper remember?? With all of your dough coming in, what's 25k?????

Robbie said...

I think I saw where the Griswold's had their's on sale...if we're winners at the O., I'll check on this!

Blogging Without Obligation

After coming across what seemed to be the 4000th or so post on someone’s blog starting with “I’m sorry I haven’t posted in awhile.” I decided it is time to rethink what makes a good blog and the expectations that have come to be part of it. I am thinking that no one should utter those words again . . .and with that thought I give you Blogging Without Obligation. •Because you shouldn’t have to look at your blog like it is a treadmill. •Because its okay to just say what you have to say. If that makes for a long post, fine. Short post, fine. Frequent post, fine. Infrequent post, fine. •Because its okay to not always be enthralled with the sound of your own typing. •Because sometimes less is more. •Because only blogging when you feel truly inspired keeps up the integrity of your blog. •Because they are probably not going to inscribe your stat, link and comment numbers on your tombstone. •Because for most of us blogging is just a hobby. A way to express yourself and connect with others. You should not have to apologize for lapses in posts. Just take a step back and enjoy life, not everything you do has to be “bloggable”. •Because if you blog without obligation you will naturally keep your blog around longer, because it won’t be a chore. Plus, just think you will be doing your part to eradicate post pollution. One post at a time. . .

Easy Snacks

You'll find some great and quick snacks to have on hand at this site. Though it refers to kids, they are great for anyone. After all, we're all humans! Run HERE to see them.

Meals for Energy

Click HERE to get some great meals for pre race day and post race.

Our Races Through 6-01-09

Go to our running blog for newer updates.