John 3:16

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have eternal life."

Monday, March 2, 2009

Seaside Half Marathon

Well, it's come and gone. Seaside has a lot to offer. It's such a beautiful, quaint neighborhood. The weather had been absolutely great and then ... the cold front came in. Saturday night the winds whipped up and blew hard all night long. You could hear it getting colder.

Race Day...Sunday, March 1. We reluctantly got up to get ready for the run and were dreading getting outside. It was so cold inside the camper. After donning 3 tops and 4 bottoms, I was about as ready as I could be. We left at 5:30 in order to find a parking place; 2750 racers were to be there and the half started at 7 a.m. We questioned our sanity while we waited as long as we could in the truck. It was 32 degrees when I got up but the worst part of it all was the wind! It was sharp and piercing and would cut straight through you. It was documented to have continuous 25 mph winds with very strong gusts; therefore, making the wind chill drop into the 20's! Everyone was shivering, shaking and trotting in place in order to keep warm.

The race finally began. After the first mile or so, my body warmed up and everything was going great. The cool air made breathing easy and my pace was great. Soon the road turned into small hills. Blowing, gusty winds made it very hard at times. But nothing hurt or cramped. As I got to the 12th mile, I was feeling better and better and I found I had lots of energy left. I began to pass several people. This was so exciting. People were cheering all of us on and it just made the adrenaline rise up in you. I passed about 10 people as I was about to cross the finish line. It was true victory for me! Not only did I run the entire race but I finished well and got my medal!

Kent decided to run in the 5k race. It turned out to be a good choice since he won first place in his age division. He finished 132nd out of 720 runners. I finished at 2 hours and 10 minutes. I couldn't believe it especially with the disadvantages of the weather and hills thrown in. I'm pleased with my time for my first half marathon. Though Kent was not subjected to the hills, he still had the weather to contend with. I was 27th out of 88 in my age group and 979th out of 1812 runners.

My thrill is my medal! I could hardly believe I had run 13.1 miles! It just seemed an impossible feat. I loved it! As a matter of fact, I think I will be planning another one ... this time during a warmer time of year.

After the runs, we had a wonderful lunch provided by Jim 'N Nicks BBQ. We like to froze afterwards when our bodies cooled down and we settled down to eat. The wind picked back up and the sun did a great job hiding! A quick excerpt from their website. "The 2009 race is over and everyone is thawing out! We can't thank our sponsors, racers, and volunteers enough for braving the coldest and windiest race we've ever experienced." See, I wasn't exaggerating!! (I'll post pictures as soon as they are available.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your race and winning the medal. Your time sounds really great to me. It takes me an hour to walk my four miles, which I try to do several times a week. Hope you get to enjoy another race soon. Post the famous pose that runners have when their chest breaks through the ribbon at the finish line. Is that one only for the first place finish? Congrats to you and your hubby for running!

Sewflake said...

Robbie, congradulations on a race well run!!! I am not sure if I wud have been a brave as you and run in that cold weather!!!!
Sharon from Flourishes

Blogging Without Obligation

After coming across what seemed to be the 4000th or so post on someone’s blog starting with “I’m sorry I haven’t posted in awhile.” I decided it is time to rethink what makes a good blog and the expectations that have come to be part of it. I am thinking that no one should utter those words again . . .and with that thought I give you Blogging Without Obligation. •Because you shouldn’t have to look at your blog like it is a treadmill. •Because its okay to just say what you have to say. If that makes for a long post, fine. Short post, fine. Frequent post, fine. Infrequent post, fine. •Because its okay to not always be enthralled with the sound of your own typing. •Because sometimes less is more. •Because only blogging when you feel truly inspired keeps up the integrity of your blog. •Because they are probably not going to inscribe your stat, link and comment numbers on your tombstone. •Because for most of us blogging is just a hobby. A way to express yourself and connect with others. You should not have to apologize for lapses in posts. Just take a step back and enjoy life, not everything you do has to be “bloggable”. •Because if you blog without obligation you will naturally keep your blog around longer, because it won’t be a chore. Plus, just think you will be doing your part to eradicate post pollution. One post at a time. . .

Easy Snacks

You'll find some great and quick snacks to have on hand at this site. Though it refers to kids, they are great for anyone. After all, we're all humans! Run HERE to see them.

Meals for Energy

Click HERE to get some great meals for pre race day and post race.

Our Races Through 6-01-09

Go to our running blog for newer updates.