John 3:16

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have eternal life."

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Riverwalk 5k

We went to a race yesterday in Milton, Florida, about an hour away. Call me Sappy, but the one thing that drew me to this one was the cute shirt! It's whimsical, fun and colorful. I loved it and wanted one. What do you think?


It started at 4:00 p.m. and was hot and humid. There was a little breeze at first but when we started, it took off, too....in another direction! Didn't feel it again the entire race. The first mile was basically all uphill. When I saw the 1-mile sign I was gasping for air and thought I'd have to do some walking with this one. It sapped our strength. The heat and humidity took about all we had and threw it into the river. People passed me I never thought would. I'm thinking, "am I in THAT bad a shape?" Then I convinced myself that they were familiar with the course and probably ran the streets all their lives. As it turned out, that was probably true. But the end did come...whew!! This was the worse race time I've had in over a year! Kent's was not good either. After the race, we were just so happy we finished and re-hydrated. I think we both drank close to a half gallon of liquid before we felt okay. About an hour after the race we discovered that sausage, red beans and rice and chicken pot pie was being served. We got the very last of the RB and rice! Wished we had known about this earlier. A local restaurant did the cooking and both were homemade and delicious! With all of that said, we went to look at the race results board before tucking our tails and leaving. To our surprise, Kent and I both received First Place in our divisions! We were sooo excited. The first woman that came in was in my age group; this is rare at best. Most of the time it is a 20 year old. BUT that was good for me. Kent and I were two of the three people out of state that won an award. Aren't the awards cute, too?


Kudos to Ms. Williamson, the race director!!! This was their first year to have the run and it was run excellently! She did a fantastic job. The course had many turns and it was marked clearly. Traffic was closed in specific places. There was more than enough water and sports drinks as well as bananas and oranges. They never ran out. There were many snacks, too. Radio and television stations were present. I would recommend that the course be straighter and photos taken for the awards presentation. They were hoping to have 100 participants but as it turned out there were 301 runners/walkers! An exceeded expectation! Thumbs up!

No comments:

Blogging Without Obligation

After coming across what seemed to be the 4000th or so post on someone’s blog starting with “I’m sorry I haven’t posted in awhile.” I decided it is time to rethink what makes a good blog and the expectations that have come to be part of it. I am thinking that no one should utter those words again . . .and with that thought I give you Blogging Without Obligation. •Because you shouldn’t have to look at your blog like it is a treadmill. •Because its okay to just say what you have to say. If that makes for a long post, fine. Short post, fine. Frequent post, fine. Infrequent post, fine. •Because its okay to not always be enthralled with the sound of your own typing. •Because sometimes less is more. •Because only blogging when you feel truly inspired keeps up the integrity of your blog. •Because they are probably not going to inscribe your stat, link and comment numbers on your tombstone. •Because for most of us blogging is just a hobby. A way to express yourself and connect with others. You should not have to apologize for lapses in posts. Just take a step back and enjoy life, not everything you do has to be “bloggable”. •Because if you blog without obligation you will naturally keep your blog around longer, because it won’t be a chore. Plus, just think you will be doing your part to eradicate post pollution. One post at a time. . .

Easy Snacks

You'll find some great and quick snacks to have on hand at this site. Though it refers to kids, they are great for anyone. After all, we're all humans! Run HERE to see them.

Meals for Energy

Click HERE to get some great meals for pre race day and post race.

Our Races Through 6-01-09

Go to our running blog for newer updates.