John 3:16

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have eternal life."

Saturday, January 12, 2013

I'm Still Here

Since 2008, I've had quite a change in my life. I love my cardmaking time and being creative. It's actually the only time I feel "free" to be me. And, I LOVE all my "stuff" and continue to add to my stash. My crafts have taken a lot of time over the years; but since I've begun running in '08, that part of me seems to override of the other things I do. It tends to be the hub of my life. But there is a fight going on. I love running long distance and I love programs [and yet feel confined by them...don't ask...I don't understand that either]. Why in the world, I began running at such a late stage of my life, I do not know.  After all, I was exposed to it 25 years before I actually began and had NO interest at all!  Anyway, I should have started earlier, then maybe all of this wouldn't collide so often. My devotional time has suffered and yet I have such a strong pull that way...thankfully! But I just can't seem to keep my mind focused in that direction for long before I'm thinking what is on "the schedule" for today or tomorrow. 

I am training for my second marathon and am nearing my longest runs in the program. I want to do them and yet I want this over. This marathon is being done by myself this time, unlike the last one, and running with someone on your longer runs really make a difference. I realize that probably the busiest I'll be during these 3 months of training will all come together during the couple of weeks of my 18 and 20 mile runs!! How lovely! Last time, this was the time I looked forward to...running a distance I've never done before. But now, there is my cardmaking retreat that I look forward to every year [it's 3 days of approximately 16 daily hours of non-stop fun] and a trip to Birmingham...and if that wasn't enough, I signed up for a half marathon tomorrow and a 15k (9.3 miles) two weeks later!! Oh, I knew about the races and thought this time around that I would include a couple of longer ones during my training. I pulled away completely from racing before once I reached 13 miles in order to prevent injury. But I found out I'm one of the very few that thought this way as they use the races as "training" races...sooooo, that's what I'm going to do this time. Tomorrow is my half marathon and then I will add an additional 5 miles to it to equal my 18 miles long run this week.  One more long miler after this...20 miles...then the marathon! 

It has been hard to prepare/think much about the cardmaking retreat since we are camping long term right now and will have to do all of this when I get home [though we go regularly I keep a lot of stuff with me]. It kinda takes all the fun out of the planning especially since I'm trying to manage my running program. After long runs, I'm tired for pretty much the rest of the day. But then there's this one other thing that I really want to do which starts...guess when...on January 17th!! Right in the middle of all the chaos! First Baptist Church has their winter Bible study of about 6 weeks which starts right in this 2-week period. This year, I really want to do this one. It's on the book of Jonah and I've never done an indepth study on that book AND, the more I recall of Jonah's life, the more I find that I am a lot like him. I really want to do this but the problem comes with the fact that there is a lot of homework to do.  Usually, I LOVE this but not this year.  So, in order for me to get "some" relief of all my "want-to's", I'm going to go to the first class, get my workbook and hang on as best I can during this time even though there will be classes that I will miss. 

As I look over it all I realize that what I desire is only more time for all the things [besides running] which vie for my attention.  And once the marathon is over, there will be more time for it all.   Don't get me wrong...I do NOT nor will I quit running!  It IS a part of my life and hope to do it as long as I live.  I love it!!  As a matter of fact, though I would love to do a couple more marathons (Marine Corps [my dream], Chicago and Disney], I'm not sure that I will be able to committ to as much time as it takes to prepare for them.  It's hard to put your life on hold during the last 6 weerks of training.  I may just stick to my half's...which I do love!

I hope this entry hasn't seemed like a big ole complaint because it's not.  Just wanted to share what all has been and is going on in my life right now and to say that I am still alive and kicking...probably too much.  Oh, one thing I didn't mention is that I learned how to swim last summer and I want to add [not such a good word in this post, huh?] more of it in my activities.  Okay...I never said I was just right!!  Until next time, hang on.  Sometimes life throws a lot of stuff at you but NEVER give up. 

No comments:

Blogging Without Obligation

After coming across what seemed to be the 4000th or so post on someone’s blog starting with “I’m sorry I haven’t posted in awhile.” I decided it is time to rethink what makes a good blog and the expectations that have come to be part of it. I am thinking that no one should utter those words again . . .and with that thought I give you Blogging Without Obligation. •Because you shouldn’t have to look at your blog like it is a treadmill. •Because its okay to just say what you have to say. If that makes for a long post, fine. Short post, fine. Frequent post, fine. Infrequent post, fine. •Because its okay to not always be enthralled with the sound of your own typing. •Because sometimes less is more. •Because only blogging when you feel truly inspired keeps up the integrity of your blog. •Because they are probably not going to inscribe your stat, link and comment numbers on your tombstone. •Because for most of us blogging is just a hobby. A way to express yourself and connect with others. You should not have to apologize for lapses in posts. Just take a step back and enjoy life, not everything you do has to be “bloggable”. •Because if you blog without obligation you will naturally keep your blog around longer, because it won’t be a chore. Plus, just think you will be doing your part to eradicate post pollution. One post at a time. . .

Easy Snacks

You'll find some great and quick snacks to have on hand at this site. Though it refers to kids, they are great for anyone. After all, we're all humans! Run HERE to see them.

Meals for Energy

Click HERE to get some great meals for pre race day and post race.

Our Races Through 6-01-09

Go to our running blog for newer updates.